Out of the Depths
- For TTBB chorus (men's chorus), a cappella; sacred text from Psalm 130 (De Profundis)
- Length: 2:30
- Difficulty rating (1-5): 4
Listen to a performance by The English Choir Berlin conducted by Kathleen Blackwell Bird:
- View a PDF score excerpt
- Purchase, request full review copy or more information, etc.
- Score: $1.50 (for reproduction rights; minimum purchase of 10 required; additional charge for hard copies
- Commissioned by The Ralph Farris Chorale, Fryeburg, ME.
Out of the Depths was premiered by the The English Choir Berlin (Kathleen Blackwell Bird, conductor). It’s dedicated to my best friend from childhood, Richard Winfree, who died of AIDS in the worst days of the epidemic.
Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O Lord.
Lord, hear my voice:
Let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplication.
If thou, Lord, shouldst mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
But there is salvation with thee:
my soul crieth out to thee.
I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning:
I say, more than they that watch for the morning.
—Psalm 130, alt.